Monday, July 29, 2013

The Birth of Lehuahiwahiwa Piper Natoaitele Soon

Sunday, May 18th, 2013
We got up to go to church and I was having some mild contractions. We had to meet with our new bishop that day because we were new to the ward so we met with him after sacrament and then went home to see if the contractions would continue. They weren't super strong but I could definitely feel them. The contractions continued all day and I went walking several times to try to get labor started but they just stayed consistent: mild and 5-10 minutes apart. My mom called some friends at the hospital and they said I shouldn't come in until the contractions got stronger. I decided to go to sleep and if the contractions got strong enough, they would wake me up.

Monday, May 19th, 2013
I woke up disappointed because I spent the whole day before timing contractions and then woke up to none. I was annoyed but more than that, I was worried. I could feel the baby moving yesterday and all of a sudden she wasn't moving anymore when I woke up. I called my doctor and she sent me to the hospital to get things checked out and monitor baby for a little while. My mom and dad were both off so they took care of 'Ihi and Kahili and I headed to the hospital to check things out. They hooked me up to all the monitors and we could automatically hear a heartbeat which was reassuring. However, baby didnt kick, move, or do anything for a solid 20 minutes. Then she started moving around and being hyper all of a sudden. The nurse came back in and told us they were concerned at the beginning and had called my doctor and she had ordered an ultrasound but then when baby started moving around, they called it off and said everything was just fine. Then they sent us home. It was about 2pm.

Kahili and I went to Panda Express to get some lunch and took it home. We joked about going to Red Robin because it was a spicy burger from there that put me into labor with 'Ihi. I didn't feel like sitting at a restaurant though so we decided spicy chinese food would have to do. We took it home, ate, and played the waiting game. 'Ihi woke up from her nap around 4pm and I was having those same annoying mild contractions so around 4:30pm I decided to take her for a walk. We walked arounf the block a couple times with breaks inbetween. On our last trip around the block around 5:30pm, I felt a small pop and then a little gush of water. I was pretty sure my water had broken. Kahili was sure we needed to rush to the hospital like the movies but I knew that wasn't the case. I took a nice cool shower and got dressed for the hospital then watched everyone eat dinner. I did not have an appetite. 

At 6:30pm we arrived at Little Company of Mary hospital. At 7pm they checked me and I was already dilated to a 4 so they admitted me. I was so happy all those annoying contractions weren't for nothing! At 7:30pm I met my nurse, Ta who spoke very broken English, and she moved me to Room 306 where she said they were going to let me stay as a VIP meaning I wouldn't have to move after delivery. Woohoo! My mom arrived around this time with some food for Kahili. Ta started my IV then at 8pm checked me and I was dilated to a 5. at 9:30pm I was dilated to a 6 but my progression was slowing down and they wanted to start the pitocin so at 10:45pm I finally gave in and let them give me the epidural. I tried to sleep but I just couldn't. 

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013
At 12:30am they checked me and I was dilated to a 7. At 1:30am I was an 8 but they decided to put a HB monitor on baby's head because it kept dipping with every contraction I had. After they put the monitor on they checked me again to see if there was any progression (around 1:45am) and I was already a 9. They called Dr. Pinkus, the on call doctor, to come to the hospital. Ta told me to push one time and baby's head came all the way down so she told me to stop pushing and wait for the doctor! That was the longest 10 minutes of my life (besides the time I had to wait for the doctor when I was having 'Ihi haha). At 2:20am Dr. Pinkus arrived, I pushed through 2 contractions, and baby was out by 2:24am. The cord was wrapped around her neck pretty tight and her face was all purple. She cried initially and they put her on me skin to skin like I had asked them too but I could tell something was wrong. She never cried or made any noises again. I looked at my mom and she looked worried so I let them take her away to check her while I got taken care of by Dr. Pinkus, I delivered the placenta and got stitched up because she had to cut a 2nd degree episiotomy while I was pushing. Baby turned out to be just fine though she was a bit 'shocky' as my mom called it because of the cord being wrapped around her neck so tight. That was also why her HB was dropping with each contraction. 

I wish I could remember what our first words were about this baby but to tell you the truth, I think I just kept saying, "Is she ok?" and telling Kahili to go over there and be with her because I couldn't. She was beautiful and everything turned out to be just fine so we know we were being looked after well. We were so lucky to have my mom there to help. She was even able to give baby her first bath!

Recovery seemed harder this time around. I was starving and everything was closed so Kahili went down and got me a sandwich from the vending machine and they brought me juice. The sandwich was disgusting...super dry and the edges were soggy...gross but, all there was to eat! Mom went home around 4am and my new nurse wasn't the most pleasant person to deal with. When the epidural had worn off, I asked if I could get up and go to the bathroom. Long story short, blood got everywhere (bed, floor, gown, etc.) and she acted like it was all my fault. I tried to ignore her muttering under her breath as she cleaned it up and I went to the bathroom. When I was done, I stood up but was not feeling good so I told her and she handed me a tray and told me to sit back down. Moments later, everything I had just eaten was in that some. Again, that was somehow my fault. Unbelievable. Anyways, we eventually got all cleaned up and got some rest. 

Mom brought 'Ihi by in the morning to meet her new little sister and you could tell she was a bit confused at first. Well, she wouldn't even look at ME! She was kinda upset because of her sleeping arrangement the night before. It was her first night away from me and it was rough for her. Mom said that when she got home around 4am, 'Ihi was sitting up in my parents bed where she had fallen asleep with Dad but she was awake. Mom showed her a pic of her sister and she looked at it in amazement for an hour straight, making my mom turn the phone back on each time it went to sleep. Mom said it was the most precious thing. Anyways, she met her sister, held her, and pointed out her fingers and nose. It was the sweetest thing and I'm so glad I got that moment on video so I will never forget it!

Since the night before had been rough without Kahili and I, we sent Kahili home to sleep with 'Ihi the next night and Mom stayed with me at the hospital. We went home on May 22nd in the afternoon which was technically a day early. When we left the hospital, Lehua weighed 7 lbs 5 oz. We went in to the doctor for a weight check 2 days later and she was back up to 7 lbs 8 oz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment