Background

Monday, March 14, 2011

Exhausted.

The past 2 weeks have been so busy! Mostly because I can usually get a lot of stuff done on Saturday and the past two Saturdays I have been working.

(warning: this next part is me, venting--- if you don't understand volleyball lingo you may be confused...)

I coached a 14s team that I had never met before on Saturday. It was hard, very hard. The first game of the day, I had 2 girls crying and asking me if I would take them out. This team runs a 6-2 (2 setters) and that is all they know how to run. One of the girls that was crying was a setter so the next game, I let her sit out and told her to watch the setter that was on to see what she should be doing. At this point, the rest of the team freaked out because they now only had 1 setter and I had one of the outside hitters playing opposite. Even though I was telling them all where to go before each play, they were complaining the WHOLE game. Not only that, they were bickering with each other. At one point, I had to call a timeout and say, "I am the coach! Let me coach. You don't tell her what to do, I will." It was so frustrating. One of the girls was injured so she was sitting on the bench the whole day. One of the middles that rotates out had the injured girl holding her phone and while she was out, she was texting! The whole day went like that, I felt like I was babysitting instead of coaching. The thing that put me over the edge: There were 3 outside hitters so I was rotating them out each game. The last match of the day it was time for the girl that was giving me the most trouble to sit out. I saw her go grab her backpack and bring it to the bench. I told her to put it to the side and not open it because she should be paying attention to the game. I got caught up coaching and when I turned around during the last few points of the game, she was painting her nails! Can you believe that?! I was so upset, I didn't even know what to do.

All I can say is I am SOOOOOO glad I have 14 years to prepare for this type of behavior!

No comments:

Post a Comment