Background

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sleep Training

Like I have mentioned before, 'Ihi was sleeping through the night at about 1.5 months and I knew it was too good to be true. Ever since our trip to Cali for Thanksgiving, she has been up at least once during the night, sometimes and very often more times than that. I have had tons of excuses not to sleep train her (sickness, family visiting, teething, etc.) but I am out of excuses. Yesterday we started and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. She screamed for 45 minutes straight only stopping to catch her breath. Kahili asked me if he could go get her. I had to be strong and tell him no and that she needed to learn how to self soothe. When she finally fell asleep, we went in to give her a kiss and cover her up with a blanket. She had thrown up and had it all over her face and hair. That's when the tears came. I felt horrible. How could I do that to her? But I went back to my book, Babywise, and reminded myself that I am doing this for her. So that she can learn how to go to sleep without me feeding her, rocking her, or holding her. But it is also for me, so I don't lose my sanity by having to spend an hour or more putting her to bed every night. She slept well, still woke up but kept gong back to sleep.

Today I put her down for a nap the same way. She only cried for 10 minutes. I see this as good progress. We will see how tonight goes. I told myself and Kahili that we would try this method for a week and if it doesn't work, we will try something different. Hopefully it works!

1 comment:

  1. omg, everytime i try to do this it doesnt work. spencer and my sister in laws always want to get him. ugh. i gave up. i realized i can only do this if we didnt live with family. i know my mil was mad when we did that while she was here...and im pretty sure my sis in laws dont like it either and think its wrong...soooo that was down the drain. id say stick it out though! i do it when no one is here and it works. im sure if u are strong the crying time will be less and less and less...by the end of week 1 you will have a trained baby!! i know ppl who swear on it!

    ReplyDelete