Background

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Miss Independent

Ka'ihilei is 14 months old and very independent these days. At 13.5 months old, she weighed 21.5 lbs (65th %ile) and was just shy of 31 inches long (86th %ile). The doctor said she is growing marvelously, right on track. This little girl has TONS of personality and I can't wait to share some of her little 'Ihi-isms...here they are!

*She is wearing some 12 month clothes but mostly 18 month clothes right now.

*We are still in size 3 Pampers.

*We are constantly dealing with a very picky eater and it is pretty stressful for me. I want to know that she is getting all the nutrients she needs from different foods but I can never predict what she is going to like on certain days. She has been drinking LOTS of milk...like a gallon every 4-5 days and the doctor wants me to cut it down to 3 bottles/ less than 30 ounces a day. This has been very hard because some days milk is the only thing she will take so I feel like I am depriving her of nutrients and calories. The hope is that if we give her less milk, she will stop being so picky about food.

*She's got a major sweet tooth like her Mama. In a way, it has helped me because I know that if 'Ihi sees it, she will want it (whether it be candy, soda, baked goods, etc.) so I try not to eat it.

*The girl already knows how to throw a toddler tantrum. She is very stubborn and when she wants something and doesn't get it, you will for sure know that she is NOT happy.

*On the flip side, 'Ihi can be super sweet. For example, most mornings I wake up to her straddling my stomach while leaning over and giving me kisses til I wake up! Its the cutest thing and helps us start off our day on the right foot (sometimes after very rough nights).

She has added "Papa" to her list of words and continues to repeat certain phrases that I say to her a lot. I love that she can understand almost everything I say and she reacts to it. When we say, "are you ready to go bye-bye?" she starts blowing kisses and waving to anything and everything in sight.

*'Ihi loves animals, especially dogs! She will chase them around for days. She also waves to birds when she sees them fly by :)

*She loves Micky Mouse Clubhouse and some mornings will point at the TV til I turn it on.

*She LOVES to dance (must get it from her Daddy). She dances to music on TV, in the car, or will point to our ipod music player that we got for her room so that she can dance around and play. At my volleyball games, they play music during timeouts and in between games and you can almost always count on 'Ihi to provide some entertainment for everyone. My girls think its the cutest and funniest thing.

*Coloring/eating crayons is a favorite activity of hers lately. She loves drawing on whiteboards too.

*Sleep is still a struggle around here. I have tried every different type of sleep training and nothing works on 'Ihi. the minute she is put in her crib awake, she starts screaming and won't stop until she either poops or throws up. I have resorted to bottle-feeding her to sleep. It is exhausting but I don't know what else to do. If anyone has any experience with this, I would love some insight. I'm at my wits end.

*She has a very sensitive gag reflux so when she chokes on the smallest thing, even if just a little comes up, she ends up emptying her whole stomach. Not fun.

We love our little princess to the moon and cannot believe how fast she is growing up! Ka'ihilei, know that your Daddy and I love you so so much and we don't know what we would do without you!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, that first half of the post sounds exactly like hina when she was a baby. She was (and still is) picky. It doesnt change. She also drank so much milk and the doctors told me to cut it down but it was just too hard, that was her main source of nutrition, i couldnt cut it out as much as they wanted, but we did decrease it a lot and started giving her apple juice more in the day time and saved the milk for night time or nap time. Dont worry, she'll survive. You just gotta be strong. But man, the tantrums, getting her way, etc. Serioisly just like hina! Haha! Even the dancing and mickey mouse. Lol.

    As far as the sleeping, i dont really know what to say. Luckily, my kids were both pretty good with sleeping through the night. The only problem times r when they r sick. My son occasionally sticks his finger and makes himself gag when hes mad and crying, which really sucks, cuz it makes himself throw up sometimes, so i just grab him and rock him to sleep on those nights. Its a little more effort, but it works. For hina, on her rough nights, i give her the ipad to watch movies or shows from....its more just to get her actually in her bed. Cuz then once she is ready, she'll just knock out. I dont know if any of that helps or not, but good luck!

    ReplyDelete